Designated as a recruitment and showcase facility, the Strom Thurmond Fitness Center provides state-of-the-art fitness facilities and amenities within a highly appealing environment.
Situated close to the street, this stately center provides signature appeal along the main thoroughfare as well as pedestrian convenience.
Upon entering the Center, the student is greeted with a grand 2-story rotunda lobby, and terrazzo floors. The plan is open and fluid, while providing vibrant interest and amenities areas such as the 52-foot high rock-climbing wall, which reaches through a cutaway atrium of the central corridor.
Faithful+Gould provided construction management services for the Strom Thurmond Fitness Center.
Central features of the center include:
- 10,000ft2 swimming pool with wet classrooms
- Sauna and whirlpools
- 1/7 mile indoor track
- Aerobics facilities
- Weight area with over 150 pieces of equipment
- 4 full-sized basketball / volleyball courts
- Lounge, hang-out areas, snack-bar and vending machines
- Racquet ball courts
- Auxiliary gym for indoor soccer and floor hockey with rounded corners
- Pro-shop with outdoor equipment rental
- Outdoor recreational pool and sand volleyball courts
State-of-the-art fitness is accompanied with state-of-the-art security systems, technology, and building materials.
Data ports are located throughout the center.
Building materials were chosen for practicality and durability, such as the outdoor pool tile, which absorbs excess heat and protects bare feet, and easy-to-clean materials such as glazed blocks, and stainless steel handrails.
- CMAA Public Sector Project of the Year, 2003
- CMAA South Atlantic Chapter Project Achievement Award, Public Project Less Than $50 million, 2003