Abdel, along with 5 other figures, has been named by the Middle East Economic Digest (MEED) as being responsible for managing green building assessments for clients across the Middle East.
The other 5 experts are:
- Issa al-Mohannadi - Founder and chairman, Qatar Green Building Council
- Sadek Owainati - Founder, Emirates Green Building Council
- Mario Seneviratne - Director, Green Technologies
- Tim Armstrong - Technical director, WSP Middle East
- Jeffrey Willis - Sustainability Leader for the Gulf, Arup
Since graduating with a master's degree in engineering for sustainable development from Cambridge University, Abdel joined Faithful+Gould in September 2008 and has spearheaded Faithful+Gould's sustainability initiatives in the Middle East.
He possesses extensive experience in building engineering services, with an emphasis on energy management and renewable energy integration. Other areas of expertise include sustainability strategy, carbon footprinting and life-cycle assessments.
Abdel is a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Accredited Professional and his role typically involves providing an interface between the technical and cost considerations which are often encountered whilst appraising sustainability options.
Key sustainability projects in the Middle East include the Masdar Development (life cycle assessment), Al Ghurair Properties (LEED cost consultancy) and Al Ain Wildlife Park and Resort, where Abdel is currently providing Estidama cost consultancy services.
Abdel is widely recognized by conference organisers as a key speaker on this subject matter and has been asked to present at several upcoming conferences:
- The Abu Dhabi MEED Green Building Conference in November
- The ‘Doha Green' conference, organized by Sesam Business Consultants, where his presentation will focus on building a business case for sustainability
- Abdel has also been requested to facilitate a Green Building Workshop entitled ‘Educating the supply chain to meet green building requirements' which will follow the ‘Doha Green' conference.
David Stapleton, regional director, adds "Abdel has been a very welcome addition to our Middle East team, adding immense value to the services that we offer - this recognition by the industry is well deserved."