The benefits of a PMO
The PMO supports effective project delivery through settings and implementing standards and protocols to be used throughout the programme and measuring project and programme performance in order to:
- Provide the tools of programme governance;
- Provide leading and lagging assurance of programme delivery;
- Aggregate project data into programme data to inform programme assurance;
- Generate efficiencies in project delivery;
- Share common practices;
- Share lessons learned across the programme.
The introduction of a PMO should support project delivery by aggregating functions where appropriate and introducing efficiencies into project delivery. Rather than just adding more people into the management of the programme, a PMO should drive benefits across the project, programme or portfolio.
Defining the PMO structure
There are a number of different variations of organisational structures around which a PMO can be introduced. The individual requirements of a project, programme or portfolio need to be reviewed in order to develop a suitable bespoke PMO solution which will help to deliver the benefits that clients are seeking.
Market-leading PMO functions
Faithful+Gould has developed or adopted a number of innovative solutions to aid effective programme delivery, including a programme specific toolkit. We implement solutions to drive efficiencies and consistency, and in turn cost savings which include:
· Technical Leadership: Regular PMO Technical Leadership meetings are held with representatives from across the UK and worldwide to share best practice and innovative solutions.
· Standardised Documentation: We’ve established a suite of standardised programme documentation to ensure best practice and consistency.
· Collaborative Delivery Environment: We are able to adapt existing collaborative platforms such as Microsoft Teams and Office 365 functionality to create a PMO management tool that is low cost and quick to deploy.
· Customisable Reporting Suite: The aggregation of project data into a combined dashboard allows a snapshot of the project or programme and the ability to drill down into the data.
· Cost Data Benchmarking: We have created and adopted tools which help to provide better cost certainty throughout the development of the project or programme.
· Contract Management Systems: Adopting the use of contract management platforms such as CEMAR and Sypro allows robust and auditable administration of contracts.
· Resilient Programming Tool: We’ve developed a resilient programme tool that develops opportunities for rescheduling should a project hit an obstacle.
· Forensic Planning: Our forensic planning capabilities help to assess change fairly and reduce the potential for disputes.
· Navigator: Our programme management information system provides a single source of truth for project and programme data, providing dashboards and advanced analytics.
Faithful+Gould have experience of establishing and managing a wide variety of PMOs, with experience across sectors ranging from Airport City, Manchester to Aberdeen City Councils Strategic Housing Investment Plan.