Adelaide Wharf is a pioneering development in Shoreditch, London, and the first development in an English Partnerships London-wide initiative. The scheme provides 147 residential units, 50% of which are affordable, and has received an Ecohomes 'Excellent' rating. Faithful+Gould acted as cost advisor on this project as well as providing specialist sustainability consultancy advice concerning capital cost and lifecycle costing. From a sustainability perspective, the challenge was to provide an Ecohomes Excellent development with a carbon footprint that is better than the building regulations without having a cost premium.
- Carbon: 20% better than building regulations
- Biodiversity: Uses a brown roof to increase the amount of natural habitat in this inner city site
- Heating: Efficient centralised heating system
- Modern Methods of Construction (MMC): Offsite construction to reduce waste on site
- Prefabricated cladding treatment gains the quality benefits of modern methods of construction whilst allowing for variation within the system.
Adelaide Wharf was featured as a case study in The Building Centre’s ‘Sustainable London’ series.
Official site: www.adelaidewharf.com