After a decade of careful planning re-modelling and redesign, the Department of Education and Skills has approved the extension and reconfiguration of Howth Road School in Dublin. Faithful+Gould has been involved in this remarkable scheme since 2002.
The site is approximately 1690m2 and is tightly bounded on all sides. The existing school building, dating from 1890, is built of exposed granite stone with red brick reveals around windows and doors and grey flat cement tiles on the roof. The church and the school read as one complex with a low metal fence dividing the sites.
This project involves a single storey and part two storey extension to the existing school to include a new classroom, library and resource room, multi-purpose room, administration and general office, staff room, toilets, DCC room, boiler room, ancillary facilities and a rooftop play area; resulting in a fully upgraded school with four classrooms and ancillary areas. All of the new building work has been designed to fill the unused spaces to the rear of the building and allows for more open space to be used by pupils and teachers.
The proposed single storey extension is of a modern design and set back from the existing stone building by a single storey flat roofed link corridor, which cannot be viewed from the front. The two storey extension is located to the East of the existing school to minimise overlooking the residential neighbours and the massing is designed so that the bulk of the extension does not dominate the existing school. The school has been designed to accommodate people with disabilities by installing a ramp to the new entrance.
In order to reduce overall construction costs, Faithful+Gould has drawn on our in-house building and quantity surveying expertise, as well as architectural, civil and structural, fire safety, health and safety and building services from our parent company Atkins, resulting in a design that complies with the Department’s requirements.