After years of studying, graduation can leave you with mixed feelings. So how do you know what to do next? This is the first time you are faced with an abundance of choices, so it’s really important to choose the right graduate employer and the right graduate scheme for you.
Why Choose a Graduate Scheme?
A graduate scheme offers a structured programme combining practical learning and working towards a professional accreditation, a great way to start your career! Jarrad Edwards, building surveyor, Faithful+Gould believes that "the programme helps graduates develop skills and knowledge to progress their career growth via a number of development and training days, including a two day graduate induction which consists of team building exercises and networking activities. It was great getting to know all my fellow graduates."
As well as offering a graduate scheme, the employer usually also offers paid placement opportunities. These offer undergraduates the chance to gain work experience within their degree and experience a real insight into the world of surveying, often leading to a permanent position. Faithful+Gould offer industrial placements which will be live in October, so keep an eye out for these!
"the programme helps graduates develop skills and knowledge to progress their career growth..."
Jarrad Edwards, Faithful+Gould, building surveyor
So, why choose Faitful+Gould's Graduate Development Scheme? Here are my top 5 reasons as to why our graduate scheme will help your career development within the industry:
1. Access to Training
Our training will help you solve real-life problems from day one and develop industry skills that are highly sought after. We’ve designed a flexible framework that puts you in control of achieving your goals - whether that’s gaining professional accreditation or simply building the skills you need for a successful long-term career.
- Our 3-year flexible graduate scheme promises to give you the support you need to develop your technical, commercial and consultancy skills. You will join our 3 year graduate scheme where you will be encouraged to obtain your APC. What defines Faithful+Gould is the unrivalled amount of support by your assigned supervisor and buddy during APC workshops, monthly Q&A/training and mocks.
- Professional development will be discussed throughout GDP, encouraging you to obtain your APC by offering you a wide variety of work and projects in order to gain experience required to achieve this. We also offer core learning modules to develop your softer skills such as technical writing and presentation skills to enable to you complete your day to day role.
- APC coaching and industry exposure with a high-level clients and variety of projects such as Houses of Parliament, Thomas Reuters, RBS, Blackrock, TFL, HS2, ETC, Argent and clients include GSK, Nike, Rolls Royce etc
- This year we have had exceptional UK APC results exceeding the national average by 15% with a combined pass rate of 80%, which shows our dedication and commitment to training and L&D.
2. Great Opportunities + Benefits
As part of the SNC - Lavalin group we are able to offer our graduates an extensive range of benefits and experiences. If you join us you will be working on some of the most prestigious, innovative and demanding construction challenges around the globe, helping us to turn bold ideas into reality. You will have opportunities to work closely with clients, spending time within their organisations and taking learning from some of the most experienced surveyors and project managers in the industry.
"my third-year placement was a 10-month internship with Faithful+Gould in Los Angeles..."
Jack Sweet, Faithful+Gould, graduate project manager
Some of our benefits, to name a few, include a robust career development plan (including a library of core learning modules and on the job technical training), APC coaching and industry exposure, 25 days’ annual leave (plus bank holidays) with the option to buy up to 15 additional days per year, various annual events such as our 2-day graduate induction, ski trips, away weekends, team building activities. There are even international secondment opportunities as Jack Sweet, project manager, Faithful+Gould experienced "my third-year placement was a 10-month internship with Faithful+Gould in Los Angeles, followed by a few weeks back in the UK in the Birmingham office.."
As well as a competitive salary, we offer a settling in payment of £2,500 when you join – paid within the first month, with a chartership bonus of £2,500 once complete. You also receive a salary review every 6 months for the first 2 years!
Faithful+Gould undertake half yearly Professional Development Reviews where it is an opportunity to outline my aspirations and training requirements. As Jarrad Edwards, building surveyor describes "this allows me and the senior to team to clearly set measurable targets to achieve the next mile stone."
4. Flexible Working
We’ll sponsor your MSc on a day release basis if you don’t have a degree in a relevant subject and allow you to work part time whilst supporting your studies.
5. Graduate Community
- Large community of 300 graduates recruited per year UK wide across Atkins and Faithful+Gould
- Various annual events, such as our 2-day graduate induction, ski trips, away weekends, team building activities
- Supportive community
- Faithful+Gould actively encourage colleagues to get involved with CSR individually and as part of a team. By far the best example of this is our various cycling challenges during 2017 to celebrate our 70 year anniversary and support the Alzheimer’s charity.
It is important to note that not all graduate schemes are the same, so it is essential you think about things that are important to you such as location, work/life balance, training, graduate community, travel, career development and increasingly important for GenZ, company culture!
You can find out more about what our schemes offered in our graduate brochure here.