Faithful+Gould was appointed as project managers and cost managers for the design and development of The Sandcrawler, successfully driving the project from inception to occupation. Our PM role involved coordination of the international design team, helping our client overcome project challenges including:
- The unique footplate, due to the building’s iconic design, which brought construction challenges.
- An ambitious façade design which required specific expertise
- Advanced technology expertise requirements, which were difficult to resource locally, eg. the fifth floor screening room.
- The project’s tight timescale.
- The client was located in the US, so our client representative role was especially important, to ensure excellent communication and understanding between all stakeholders.
Our cost management services included procurement support, development of the cost estimate during the design development, preparation and review of tender documentation, cost reporting, cash flow projections and post-contract administration. This project is a great example of our capability in delivering complex structures, using skills that are increasingly in demand in Singapore.
The Sandcrawler is centrally located at the One North Fusionopolis business complex, and the state-of-the-art building takes its name from the distinctive vehicle featured in the original Star Wars film. Eight floors of office space are elevated above a public garden, with a conference suite, state of the art screening room, digital production facilities, IT centre, roof gardens and parking facilities.
A bronze statue of Jedi Master Yoda, sculpted by Lawrence Noble, has been installed in the interior public courtyard, visually linking the Singapore facility with Lucasfilm’s headquarters in San Francisco and the Big Rock Ranch building in Marin County.
Designed by Aedas, Sandcrawler has received a Singapore Gold Plus Greenmark certification and has won an impressive six architectural awards including the prestigious Chicago Athenaeum International Architecture Award for Best New Global Design. The building forms the regional headquarters for Lucasfilm Singapore, The Walt Disney Company (Southeast Asia), and ESPN Asia Pacific.